From Historic Montford, edited by
Michael T. Southern, 1985
1880-1930 was Asheville’s period of great growth. It had a population of 2600 in 1880, and 50,000 by 1930. Montford is “the neighborhood that permanently expresses the diversity and vitality of the era. . . Montford alone communicates Asheville’s residential life of the first boom era.”
The sprawling homogeneous neighborhood of about 300 acres retains over 600 structures representing a rich diversity of architectural styles and values, most contructed between 1890 and 1920, during Asheville’s emergence as the greatest city of the Southern Appalachians.
Montford Hills (including Westover)
(from an ad in the Sunday Citizen, April 4, 1926)
The Montford Hills development was begun in 1925. By 1926, streets were paved with 6 inches of concrete. Water and sewer lines served all lots, electric lines were in and telephones were available. As of 1926. 45 homes were completed, Section One was sold out, and only a few sites were available in Section 2.
Selling agents were Patterson and deVebre, located in the Miles Building. Lot prices were $1800-$2400.